Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Malea's Dentist Pre-Visit

Today was our biannual visit to the dentist. I asked Scott to work from home this morning so he could watch Grace while the rest of us went to our visit. This is the first time Malea was able to go with us.


I start taking our kids to the dentist when they are 3. Malea's birthday is next week, so I thought she should start going with us. This first visit is just to watch and see what happens while we are there. The hygienist showed her all the things: the chair that moves, the bib they put around your neck, the bright light they shine in your mouth, the mirror and instruments, including "Mr. Thirsty" that drinks up the extra water in your mouth. She also had Malea smell the toothpaste and at the end, gave her a new toothbrush, toothpaste, floss and a toy!

Our office also has computer monitors that hang from the ceiling and move around. My hygienist usually will play a movie for the kids while they are waiting. Today they were allowed to watch "Finding Nemo". That was an extra treat that they all enjoy!

My little girl is a thumb sucker. This has bothered me for quite some time. I talked to the dentist about it today. Funny thing was that he knew she did just by talking to her. She does have a slight protrusion in her front teeth because of her sucking. I think I've decided to purchase a devise to help her stop sucking now rather than later. He confirmed that the earlier she stops, the better her mouth will be later. Also, her mouth should go back to the way it is supposed to be if she stops before her permanent teeth come in.

All in all, Malea enjoyed her visit. She doesn't seem too apprehensive about the office or the people. I do hope that 6 more months of maturity will also help when it comes to our next visit. She will be getting her own check-up then.

No comments:

Post a Comment