Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Logan's Story-Toddler Years

Logan started repeating everything he heard and developed a large vocabulary at about 19 months. It kept growing and growing and eventually all kinds of people were commenting on it. Family members, church members, neighbors and such all noticed. We were quite proud of him!

Scott and I built a new house and moved in about the time all this language was developing. We were one of the first finished houses on the block. Logan loved to watch the construction that was happening all around us. He would talk about the bulldozers, cement trucks and dump trucks. It was a good summer to learn about construction. We could see it before our very eyes.

This is the summer that we bought him his first baseball tee. Boy did that little guy have a great swing! I think he was just a natural born athlete. There is a lot of baseball in his genes. Scott played all his life and his first year in college and my grandfather was a pitcher in the early 1900s. We also worked on catching and throwing with him. He loved to play any sport and wanted to always be outside.

I also bought him the Leap Frog videos that teaches letters and their sounds as well as numbers. This kid learned all his letters and sounds from a song and would constantly sing it to all who would listen (stuffed animals included). His grandma couldn't believe he knew it already!

When it came time to potty train him, I think I started too early. I would sit him there before bath, which was fine, but then I tried plastic pants that didn't hold the wetness. I decided to wait for him. Then one night when I went to put him to sleep, he told me he had to go potty. I thought he was just trying to delay bedtime. I was wrong; he went! Three days later he was trained during the day and a week later trained at night. He had a few accidents, but he was done with diapers!

We were also expecting our second baby at this time, and found out Logan would be a big brother to a baby boy! When Carter was born, Logan was probably as proud as Scott and I were. He just beamed! He was very helpful trying to get things for me when I need it. He never had a problem with jealousy. He was just excited to be a big brother.

When he was 4, Malea was a part of our lives, and again he adjusted well. We decided to start him in recreational sports. Soccer would be the first followed by t-ball. Soccer was fine, but it was more like clinics and no real game. T-ball was a short practice then 1/2 hour game. He enjoyed them both, but we decided to focus on baseball.

The following summer we put him in a coach-pitch league and his skills really grew. The team was still young and many didn't know the game too well, but they all had a good time. That was good because that team didn't win one game.

Now my first-born was ready to start an all-day kindergarten class! What a change this was for the whole family. Grace was still a baby, and Carter and Malea would still be at home, but it felt so weird not having Logan there as well. It took me a good month to get used to him going to school. He was ready though. As you can read in my proud mama entry.

I know he will continue to surprise me in all that he learns and accomplishes through the years. I cannot wait to experience it all and watch it all unfold. But in my heart I do miss him being my little baby that was 3 1/2 weeks early and made me a Mommy.

No comments:

Post a Comment