Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Boosting Self-Image

As a mostly stay-at-home mom/wife, I sometimes feel like a slob and not a vibrant woman. I don't keep a very good house and often wear work-out type clothes and don't do my hair. I usually save my nicer clothes and make-up for Wal-mart and Sam's trips. No kidding. Going anywhere is an occasion to dress nicely for me. I don't even have to dress up for work. I work at a hospital and wear scrubs, which are like scratchy pj's. Mind you that dressing nicely for me is wearing anything other than the work-out clothes. I don't mean dresses and skirts. No, just some nice shorts/jeans and a nice top.

When one acts like this it is often a downward slope into not feeling girly or sexy. So, when I realize that I haven't been flirted with or even looked at in years (other than by my husband), I feel out of touch with society. It makes a girl feel good to think she's still desirable to others. I know my husband sees me as sexy and hot, which is a great thing since we've been married for 9 years, but it really boosts the self image when a stranger confirms it.

Scott has been working out more and has now lost about 15 pounds. I am so proud of him. I'll even admit that he definitely looks hotter now! He has told me on a few occasions how girls are coming up to him at work and commenting on his loss. One has even told him that she has noticed him before but now he is looking much better and to keep up the great work.

Now I haven't gotten jealous about these comments because I know he is committed to me, and I also know that this makes him feel better about himself. It really does make one feel better about themselves when positive comments are made directly to you.

All this being said, I do not feel guilty but rather flattered that a random guy trying to sell pest control at my door last night flirted with me. I'm sure it was mostly to get me to buy his product, but it made me feel good. I stay at home and no one flirts with me anymore. I used to love to flirt. I was just a tease most of the time, but it was fun. Scott knows I'm committed to him and should not have been jealous, but he was.

It is kind of cute that he still gets jealous. I know he loves me and sometimes worries we'll get divorced because everyone in my family is divorced. But that is exactly why we won't. I love him and am committed to him and our relationship. I do not want for me, him, and our kids what I had growing up-a broken family.

But it is nice to feel desirable by others, even though they can't have me!

No comments:

Post a Comment